Friday, March 6, 2009
The Norse Rede of Honour
1) In all that you do, consider its benefit or harm upon yourself,
your children and your people.
2) All that which you do will return to you, sooner or later, for good or for ill. Thus strive always to do good to others, or at least strive always to be just.
3) Be honest with yourself, and with others.
“This above all; to thine own self be true”.
4) Humankind, and especially your own family and folk, has the
spark of divinity within it. Protect and nurture that spark.
5) Give your word sparingly, and adhere to it like iron.
6) In the world, your first trust and responsibility should be to your own people. Yet, be kind and proper to others whenever possible.
7) What you have, HOLD!
8) Pass on to others only those words which you have personally verified.
9) Be honest with others, and let them know that you expect honesty in return, always.
10) The fury of the moment play folly with the truth; to keep one’s head is a virtue.
11) Know which battles should be fought, and which battles should be avoided. Also, know when to break off a conflict. There are times when the minions of chaos are simply too strong or when fate is absolutely unavoidable.
12) When you gain power, use it carefully and use it well.
13) Courage and honour endure forever. Their echoes remain when the mountains have crumbled to dust.
14) Pledge friendships and your services to those who are worthy. Strengthen others of your people and they will strengthen you.
15) Love and care for your family always, and have the fierceness of a wolf when you must.
16) Honour yourself, have pride in yourself, do your best and forgive yourself when you must.
17) Try always to be above reproach in the eyes of the world.
18) Those of our people should always endeavour to settle any differences among themselves quietly and peaceably.
19) The laws of the land should be obeyed whenever possible and reason, for in the main they have been chosen with wisdom.
20) Have pride in yourself, your family, and your folk. They are your promise for the future.
21) Do not neglect your mate and children.
22) Every one of our people should work according to the best that s/he can do, no matter how small or how great. We are all in this world together, thus we must always help each other along.
23) One advances individually and collectively only by living in harmony with the natural order of the world.
24) The seeking of wisdom is a high virtue. Love of truth, honour, courage, and loyalty are the hallmarks of the noble soul.
25) Be prepared for whatever the future brings.
26) Life with all its joys, struggles and ambiguities is to be embraced and lived to the fullest!