Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Personal Rite of Dedication


Choose a power place ahead of time. You will need nothing but your ritual garment. If at all possible, work barefoot.


Begin by standing. Ground and center, and let your mind become relaxed yet alert. Open your arms and legs until you are in the pentagram position. Pull in golden and silvery light from the Earth Mother and the Sky Father, and send it out from your head to your right foot, from your right foot to your left hand, and then to your right hand, your left foot, and back up again to your head. Pause for a few heartbeats, breathe deeply, and send the light from your head to the end of your right fingers, to your right foot, and so on until the light has formed a circle around you. Think about what it means to be a pentagram, a human figure within the circle of spirit. With your right hand, point your first two fingers and send all the energy from your pentagram self down to the ground, a few feet out from your body. Now visualize the light as blue-white, like neon, or black light bulb colour. This is the colour many use to represent pure power. Beginning in the East, cast a line around you as you turn in a circle. Turn all the way around, back to the beginning, and seal the circle by touching the end of the line to the beginning.


Turn to the East, and visualize and feel a rush of air in your face, a strong breeze bringing with it the powers of the mind: creativity, intellect, clarity, illumination.


“Hail, East! A new voice calls you today - mine. I am here to dedicate my life and my mind to the ways of the Old Gods, and to follow where they lead. I call you to my Circle, and ask your protection. I have yet to see the faces of you, my East Guardians, but know that you will reveal yourselves to me in the proper time. Welcome and blessed be.”


Turn to the South and feel the heat of the Sun upon you. Let every pore soak the heat in. Feel your passion, the yearning for and ecstasy of spirit, of your gods, your sacred sexuality, you anger and its power to bring change. Feel the energy of fire, of will.


“Hail, South! A new voice calls you today - mine. I am here to dedicate my life and my mind to the ways of the Old Gods, and to follow where they lead. I call you to my Circle, and ask your protection. I have yet to see the faces of you, my South Guardians, but know that you will reveal yourselves to me in the proper time. Welcome and blessed be.”


Turn to the West. Feel the cool mist of the sea upon your face. Open yourself to the crashing waves of your own emotions. Imagine tears falling from your eyes as you stand in the rain, and know that tears are healing and cleansing. Tell yourself it is okay to feel. Let the energy flow within and through you, and know that it is good.


“Hail, West! A new voice calls you today - mine. I am here to dedicate my life and my mind to the ways of the Old Gods, and to follow where they lead. I call you to my Circle, and ask your protection. I have yet to see the faces of you, my West Guardians, but know that you will reveal yourselves to me in the proper time. Welcome and blessed be.”


Turn to the North. Notice the solidity of your body, and the miracle that it is. Become aware of the sinews, the muscles, the bones. Notice the rocks, and understand they are the bones of the Mother, the soil, her flesh. Feel your body’s weight, suppleness, and vibrant health. Feel the Mother beneath your feet, supporting you.


“Hail, North! A new voice calls you today - mine. I am here to dedicate my life and my mind to the ways of the Old Gods, and to follow where they lead. I call you to my Circle, and ask your protection. I have yet to see the faces of you, my North Guardians, but know that you will reveal yourselves to me in the proper time. Welcome and blessed be.”


If you have particular gods that sing to you, visualize them smiling down upon you, giving you strength and support for what you are about to do. If you haven’t felt a connection to a particular deity, don’t worry. They will reveal themselves in the proper time.


“Gods and guardians of the Mystery unfolding, I have come here today to tell you of my intention to follow where you lead. I have cast a simple circle, for I am untried and have only begun to learn. I have not chosen which gods will lead me, but I am willing to listen and learn who you are. I ask on this day that you reveal yourselves to me, and that I be blessed with the awareness of your divine presence. I am hungry for knowledge and direction, and ask today also for you to teach me and to guide me.


I come here, spiritually naked, with no tools save my breath and my body. I am humbled before you, and ask only that you show me the way. For this, I am grateful. These things I promise you, and myself.”


Once your vows are made, you may wish to meditate on your personal path. Singing or chanting is good afterwards, and there are many good songs and chants available. (Example: The Goddess Chant, the God Chant)


To finish the ritual, open the circle with this:


“Lord and Lady, I thank you for being here with me today. I will look for signs of your divine presence and guidance from this day forward. I am ____, and I am your spiritual child.”


Turn to the North, and say:


“Thank you North, guardians of earth. I will look for your face in my dreams and meditations, as well as in future circles, that I may know you and call you by your sacred and beautiful name.”


Turn to the West.


“Thank you West, guardians of water. I will look for your face in my dreams and meditations, as well as in future circles, that I may know you and call you by your sacred and beautiful name.”


Turn to the South.


“Thank you South, guardians of fire. I will look for your face in my dreams and meditations, as well as in future circles, that I may know you and call you by your sacred and beautiful name.”


Turn to the East.


“Thank you East, guardians of air. I will look for your face in my dreams and meditations, as well as in future circles, that I may know you and call you by your sacred and beautiful name.”

Always either cut or pick up the circle. Using your first two fingers, either “cut” the circle by making the motion of an “X” or a double crosswise cut (at an angle - with the wide part toward you, twice) about a foot apart.


“The circle is open, but unbroken. May the peace of the gods live forever in my heart. Merry meet, merry part and merry meet again.”


Enjoy a simple feast afterwards, and give yourself a dedication gift of something fiery.


(“Dedicant” - Thuri Calafia)

1 comment: