Tuesday, February 17, 2009
Meditation with the Goddess and God
1) Enter the screen of your mind to stand before the great World Tree.
2) Hold the intention to visit with the Goddess and God. We will climb the roots down into the land of the ancestors and power beings, to meet one deity, and then climb the branches up to the sky realm, to meet the second deity. Reach out and touch the tree, feeling the bark, and through your touch, place your intention to visit the Goddess and God below and above.
3) Look for an opening in the roots that will lead to the Underworld. This opening will probably be different than the one you used to find your Inner Temple.
4) Enter the passageway and spiral down the tunnel into the Underworld, the realm of the divine ones. The land is dark and vast, yet nor fearful, perhaps like a primordial ancient forest, seemingly illuminated from within. You feel the great power of this land.
5) Before you is an illuminated path, inviting you deeper into the Underworld. This path will lead you to a goddess or god who is correct for you at this time. Follow it.
6) Stay on the path, but notice all things to your left and right. Notice the plants of the Underworld. Do you recognize any? Notice the trees. They seem to whisper their power. Look for any animals that cross your path, or watch you from afar. An animal could even guide you on the path for a while. Notice and remember everything.
7) The path winds through the Underworld, by rocks and hills, rivers and streams. Look ahead, and follow the path as you are guided. You enter deeply the lands of power.
8) Soon you see the end of the path, and at the end, a divine being is waiting for you. Take notice of this one as best you can. What does the deity look like? What does it wear? What mannerisms do you notice?
9) When you reach the end of the path, introduce yourself, as you would to an honoured elder. Take this time to build a relationship. Ask the deity its name and culture. Ask any questions you have, about the divine, or about your life and personal issues. Be prepared to answer questions in return. Listen to every word. Watch every action. Everything has significance.
10) Once the exchange is complete, this divine one touches our forehead, giving you a blessing, and possibly a gift of some sort. Accept with love and grace, as a symbol of your new union and relationship. You can ask the deity for a symbol to evoke its power and presence in the world. Say your farewells and follow your path back, unless the deity gives you another path to walk, a short cut leading back to the World Tree.
11) Make your way back to the roots and the tunnels of the World Tree. Notice if the Underworld has changed, or at least if your perception of it has, now that you have an ally in it. Do any more animals, plants, or trees catch your notice at this time?
12) When you are back at the tunnel, climb your way back to the surface, but instead of coming out of the trunk, continue upward, spiralling up, higher and higher, until you reach the Upperworld. You come upon the heavenly lands, a bright and sunny land, filled with clouds and green fields, a veritable paradise, the land of milk and honey. You are filled with a sense of peace and awareness in this place.
13) Before you is a warm and inviting path, taking you to the heart of the Upperworld. This path will lead you to a god or goddess who is correct for you at this time. Follow it.
14) Stay on the path, noticing all things to your left and right. Notice the land, plants, and animals of the Upperworld. What do you recognize? Feel the breeze. Hear the birds. An animal may cross your path, or even guide you for a while. Notice and remember everything on the path.
15) The path wanders through the Upperworld, through fields and springs, orchards and hills. Look ahead and follow the path as you are guided. Enter the lands of enlightenment.
16) As you reach the end of the path, a divine being is waiting for you. Take notice of this bright and shining one as best you can. What does the deity look like? What does it wear? What do you notice about it?
17) Introduce yourself to the divine one as you would a respected and well-lived member of your family. Take this time to converse and commune. Ask the deity its name and culture. As before, ask any questions you have and listen carefully to all that is said.
18) When your time is done, the shining one touches your body, giving you a blessing and perhaps a gift or message of some kind. Accept all with love and grace to mark your connection together. You can ask the deity for a symbol to evoke its power and presence in the physical world. Say your goodbyes and follow the path back to the World Tree, unless the divine one shows you another path back.
19) Follow your way back to the branches of the great tree and climb back down, entering the tunnel and into the trunk of the tree, spiralling down to the base of the trunk. Exit the tree and stand before it, thank it for safe passage. Thank the Goddess and God for all blessings.
20) Step back through the screen of your mind’s eye and let the World Tree gently fade from view. Return yourself to normal consciousness.